LEMONY LEMON CAKE

This is one of the first few cakes I baked. What inspired me to try this cake was the lemon cake I had umpteen times on a past trip to Amalfi, Italy. I was trying to replicate that lovely freshness and zing. After a couple of attempts and experimenting I am ready to confidently share with you my favorite lemon cake recipe.
Here's the link:http://www.myrecipes.com/m/recipe/nathans-lemon-cake
A few notes:
1) Buttermilk seems to turn all cakes moist. Since its not readily available in Delhi, unless you want the spiced one ;) better known as chaachh. What I use is half skimmed milk and half greek yoghurt in its place
2) Icing - Melt the butter in a saucepan first on a low flame so that sugar dissolves easily. Be careful with lemon zest, ensure that you have not grated the pith ( the white part) of the lemon. This will give bitterness to the icing.
Bonus Tip for the Adventurous: Add finely chopped BASIL (yes you heard it right) to the icing for a lovely summery freshness. TRUST ME it takes the cake to another level!!
Here are a few pics to get you motivated:

This is one of the first few cakes I baked. What inspired me to try this cake was the lemon cake I had umpteen times on a past trip to Amalfi, Italy. I was trying to replicate that lovely freshness and zing. After a couple of attempts and experimenting I am ready to confidently share with you my favorite lemon cake recipe.
Here's the link:http://www.myrecipes.com/m/recipe/nathans-lemon-cake
A few notes:
1) Buttermilk seems to turn all cakes moist. Since its not readily available in Delhi, unless you want the spiced one ;) better known as chaachh. What I use is half skimmed milk and half greek yoghurt in its place
2) Icing - Melt the butter in a saucepan first on a low flame so that sugar dissolves easily. Be careful with lemon zest, ensure that you have not grated the pith ( the white part) of the lemon. This will give bitterness to the icing.
Bonus Tip for the Adventurous: Add finely chopped BASIL (yes you heard it right) to the icing for a lovely summery freshness. TRUST ME it takes the cake to another level!!
Here are a few pics to get you motivated:



No comments:
Post a Comment