Friday, 9 January 2015

OPERATION MUD CAKE : FAILED :(

This Christmas I had planned a lovely brunch with a few close friends. With my past few successes with baking, I was feeling pretty confident about trying something new and formidable. Instead of making the Texas Sheet Cake, I decided to go for the more elaborate Chocolate Mud Cake.

I found a suitable recipe, with ingredients & measurements I am comfortable with (Cups, Tsp, Tbsp etc.). I started off pretty confident, melting dark chocolate, whisking away happily, following the recipe to the best of my lazyassedness. Things began to look slightly off when the batter seemed too dense to whisk. Even my toned biceps ( thanks to lifting and bouncing my lil cutie) began to ache. But I slogged on and put the strangely dense batter (close to dough like consistency) at the right temperature, in the right mode, in the oven.

A few minutes into baking, the cake started to rise evenly and all looked well. At the end of the designated time, I inserted a knife to find the cake was a little underdone. I put it in the oven for another ten minutes and the knife came out clean but the cake sank in the middle :(. I was disappointed but I consoled my self that the real test was taste. So I went ahead and made a killer  Chocolate Ganache icing and slathered it on to the meteor crash site look alike cake. All the while hoping that the cake would taste great.




My friends have been following my blog and were expecting a decent dessert. But alas, even though the cake seemed great in texture in terms of softness and springiness, it had an awfully bad after taste from the baking soda. It wasn't edible (don't go by the half eaten cake pictures, coz my glutton of a husband will eat anything).

It was heart breaking. I felt like giving up on baking altogether after such a public fiasco :(. Okay I am being over dramatic!!

No ways in hell am I going to give up so soon. So what went wrong?:
1) Mistake ONE - The recipe mentioned that after melting butter and chocolate for one minute in the microwave, whisk and re heat for 30 second till chocolate is fully melted. I stopped after heating it once for one minute coz the chocolate seemed to be melted. This may have resulted in a dense batter. Had the chocolate been hot enough, sugar would have melted easily.
2) Mistake TWO - Obviously I put in too much Baking Soda
3) Mistake THREE - The recipe suggested that the batter be divided into two tins to create two layers. I only put the icing on top.

I am going to correct all of the above mistakes next time and update you on the result. Till then never give up and keep dreaming...


No comments:

Post a Comment